Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Talk Nerdy to Me


“A towel…is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have.”
      - from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams



What do you get for that special friend that just got married and loves weird, unusual things?  Lovingly handmade repurposed robot dish towels and up-cycled space themed pot holders: kitchen function meets science fiction.   Matt is one of my best and oldest friends.  We've known each other since middle school and have been on all kinds of wild adventures!  He recently tied the knot with his beautiful bride, Thea.  I am so happy for them!  Because the newlyweds live in Seattle, I can't congratulate them in person, so I will be packing everything up and shipping it out to them.  Here is a picture of the happy couple. (On Halloween- this is not their wedding photo).  It was stolen from Facebook, I hope they don’t mind…

My well loved-nerdy outer space t-shirt was the base for these silly hot pads.  I cut the t-shirt fabric and a piece of starry dark blue cloth into squares.  Fun purple stitching binds it all together with a layer of quilt batting to protect fingers from hot pans.  I was sad to see the shirt go, but happy to give it new life. 



My friend who works in a hospital occasionally brings me unused items that would otherwise be tossed.  A favorite salvaged treasures are these bright blue cotton towels.  They come sealed (so I know they’ve never been used) and are just the right size to be used as kitchen towels.  Fabric scraps, embroidery thread, and blue ink make up the robot and his planet on a string. 





I discovered this funny image on 9gag.com and printed it on a card to go along with the gift.  I think it complements this nerdy wedding gift nicely.  The teapot is from World Market and the measuring spoons from Macy's. 

Congrats Matt and Thea!  May your marriage be as bright, breathtaking, and infinite as our universe!




No comments:

Post a Comment