Friday, July 13, 2012

Good{will outlet} Friday #20 ~ Inspired by Spanish Moss

This week's outfit is inspired by Ms. Frizzle from the Magic School Bus.  No, just kidding.  But I have DO a feeling that if she was a real person, she would love this space-y dress as much as I do.






I was really inspired by this gorgeous galaxy dress from Spanish Moss.  I can't explain why, but I fell in love the moment I saw it.  Its so geeky and cute.  I was also surprised by how many beautiful, starry dresses like this have been popping up in magazines and stores this summer.  My dress (originally plain black) is from Goodwill Outlet Center along with the shoes, bracelets, and purse.  The entire outfit cost me less than three dollars!

I found the dress a while ago at the Outlet Center and really liked the back detail, but I've never worn it.  When I had the brilliant idea to make my own version of the galaxy dress yesterday, I was thrilled to re-purpose it.  With just a little bleach, fabric dye, and acrylic paint, I now have something unique.

Want to make your own? Just head to the Outlet Center and pick up something black: a dress, t-shirt, pants, etc, and take a peek at my Galaxy Dress Tutorial.
Silver bangles like this sparkly pair are regular finds in the blue bins along with fun vintage purses.  This black leather purse has a gold chain handle. Its is very 1990's and makes a great addition to short party dresses.  To clean it up, I rubbed a jewelry polishing cloth over the chain strap and brightened the leather with black shoe polish.  My shiny black heels were slightly scuffed, but otherwise in great condition.  I brought out the shoe polish again and used a black Sharpie to repair scratches on the heel.  Are you inspired? Go find yourself a plain dress to transform, then dance the night away under the stars!



All of these items were purchased from Goodwill Outlet Center, but here's who made them:

Dress, Silence + Noise
Purse, Worthington
Shoes, Fioni
Bangles, no brand










 

No comments:

Post a Comment